SAP Development Day promotes transformative volunteering
The action provided activities for volunteers from SAP at APAE [Associação de Pais e Amigos dos Excepcionais (Association of Parents and Friends of Exceptional People)] Rio de Janeiro..
Ensina (Teach) is a volunteer program designed to impact two groups simultaneously: volunteers and people with disabilities.</strong This is done through sporting, gastronomic, artistic and musical activities.
During the program, the volunteer has the mission to make people with disabilities learning easier and encourage their autonomy and development to the maximum. With this, they win the barriers breaker regarding inclusion. For PwD, Teach is an opportunity for inclusion, meeting people and developing their potential.
During the day there were 4 types of Teachings:
- Ensina na Cozinha (Teach in the Kitchen): volunteers and people with disabilities jointly prepared three recipes (mixed cake, Italian straw and cheese bread). It brought with it the gastronomy practice, which helps people with disabilities to understand the logical process of cooking, to check ingredients’ measures in addition to raising self-esteem.
- Ensina Artes (Teach Arts): as a result of the III APAE Rio Seminar, on the Week of People with Intellectual and Multiple Disabilities between August 24 and 30, the handicraft activities developed were carried out in order to become an exhibition at the Institution. In addition, a vegetable garden was created from recyclable materials.
- Ensina Esportes (Teach Sports): had the purpose of social inclusion based on a circuit of sports activities, in which volunteers and PwD interacted with each other. Some activities developed were: futsal, basketball and running circuit.
- Ensina Música (Teach Music): thanks to the percussion classes held by APAE students, the volunteers were able to have contact with percussion instruments and with that, by the end of the day’s activities, they made a joint presentation to all those involved in the action day.
- One of ASID’s pillars is the strengthening of family ties as a way of developing people with disabilities. In this sense, conversation wheels were held with a focus on people with disabilities and guided by APAE Rio. Therapeutic and social actions for development were discussed.
Data and results
- 40 people with disability participating
- +20 family members
- 113 SAP volunteers
- +400 hours of volunteering
- 9.8 was the satisfaction score of the participants
ASID is concerned with collecting the opinion on the action with everyone involved. A specific satisfaction survey was created so that illiterate people with intellectual disabilities could answer the day as independently as possible and 100% stated that learned something new and that the day was good..
The volunteers also expressed their opinion!
“Seeing and feeling people’s joy, how important our presence was to them and I think that everyone who participated as volunteers also felt very good.”TESTIMONY BY ONE OF THE PARTICIPATING VOLUNTEERS
Want to know more projects?